Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

football- "He's Only a Boy"

As we embark on our second game of the last JFL season we will see....I remember a poem that my sister-in-law wrote back in 1991.  She watched my husband play several years of JFL and then high school.  She has a great perspective on being a football fan and parent.  Hope that you enjoy this....

He is Only a Boy

Don't curse the boy down there.
He is my son, you see.
He's only just a boy you know.
He means a lot to me.

I did not raise my son, dear fan, for you to call him names.
He may not be a super star,
It's just a Junior Football League game.

So please don't curse those boys down there.
They do the best they can.
They never tied to lose a game,
They're boys and you're a man.

The game belongs to them, you see,
Your are just a guest.
They don't need a fan like you.
They need the very best.

If you have nothing nice to say,
please leave the boys alone.
And if you have no manners,
Why don't you stay at home??

So please don't curse those boys down there.
Each one's his parent's son.
Win or lose or tie, you see,
To us they're number one.

1 comment:

  1. OMGosh....girl you brought a tear to my eyes...how sweet a poem and how true...it was spoken as a real JFL "MOM"
    blessings...Carolyn(MOM)

    ReplyDelete