Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Old Lesssons





As the pastor was about to dismiss us to enjoy 
the rest of the day celebrating Christ's Resurrection,
 my husband gave me his hand to hold.  

He was told when our oldest was about 
to be born to "only offer two fingers for a hand during a contraction". 
The theory, according to the nurse, was it 
would cause less pain for my husband.  

Now, I am not proud to say that my husband and I lived together 
before getting married. 
So, upon moving in, my then fiancé decided that 
I needed some skills of self-defense.

He WAS NOT thinking about one thing: 

I would need someone to practice on. 

So, as per tradition each Sunday, our congregation, 
when dismissed, spends 
the following hour visiting 
- Yes, I am serious. -  
The children play and the adults visit. 

The gentleman that sat in front of my husband and I turned around and  
extended his hand to shake my husband's hand. 

My husband gave an amusing response: 
A grimacing face and a soft, buckling knee. 

I giggled.

My husband, as he grabbed my hand to hold, I took three fingers and squeezed. 
I squeezed hard causing his grimace and soft knee.

The gentleman responded with a question on his face. 

I explained that when my husband and I moved in together He (my husband) 
had taught me a self-defense tactic.
 The tactic includes stretching the thumb toward the wrist.
 It is something that, if done correctly, can bring a person to their knees. 

I explained to the gentleman that my husband did not think about practice and
That some lessons are used for good and some for bad. 
But all lessons are useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment