Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Spiritual responsibility: Kids or parents??

The past few months have been relaxing and challenging all at the same time. I have said a hundred times in the past year that I couldn't imagine raising teenagers without having a relationship with Christ: them or us. :)

 We graduated one from high school and helped the other pack for a summer away at camp.  As my children get older the challenge of 'allowing them to make their own decisions' has been a very fine balance to walk.  I trust my children...I trust them to make good decisions, but that mom in me still says that I should 'get to have my say'--right??  The one thing that God has reminded me of MANY, MANY, MANY times over the past few months is 'He directs their steps, I am just here to guide them toward Him.'  I am sure that I am not the only mom who struggles with this concept.  Don't get me wrong I trust God with my marriage, my children, my finances, my 'day to day' happenings....but the human side of me says "I should get a say in it".  The more I take my hands off of the 'decision making' the more God can and is working in my children's lives.  I am smiling now...  I often think of how things were when they were in public school.  They were hesitant to make decisions that didn't 'align with their friends'.  I would encourage them to do what is right no matter what their friends said or did, but with that came a cost of possible condemnation.  Since having them home, they have gained a confidence to 'relax and just be themselves'.  I am REALLY loving the relax version of who they REALLY are, but more than that I am getting to see who they REALLY are in Christ.  As we discuss or 'hash' out different topics or 'decisions', I am getting a window glimpse to their heart.  I love to see what God is doing in their life and their imperfections mingled in there. I love the conversations that challenge each of us to look or think about different topics from a different point of view.  (another great discussion: world view).  God has been so faithful to our family. 

With all thing being said, I would like to challenge you: Is the spiritual growth of our children ours to 'grow' or is it our children's responsibility to pursue their own relationship with Christ??  What are you doing to help your children have their own relationship with Christ?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment